No file directory for the user "ptfs328h"

No file directory for the user "ptfs328h"

by Redwanul Karim -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Concern,

I have uploaded the ssh key in the HPC portal and could login (tried login after two hours) to the cshpc.rrze.fau.de using the following command - 

ssh ptfs328h@cshpc.rrze.fau.de

But I am getting the following error -

Last login: Wed May  1 23:09:55 2024 from fttx-pool-185.75.74.228.bambit.de
Could not chdir to home directory /home/hpc/ptfs/ptfs328h: No such file or directory

I have also tried to connect directly to the  fritz.nhr.fau.de using the following command while being connected to the CISCO VPN-

ssh ptfs328h@fritz.nhr.fau.de

in that case I also got the following error -

Last login: Wed May  1 20:41:33 2024 from 10.11.49.52
Could not chdir to home directory /home/hpc/ptfs/ptfs328h: No such file or directory
This account is currently not available.
Connection to fritz.nhr.fau.de closed.

Would you please suggest me how can I fix this issue?

Account details

• HPC-Account: ptfs328h
  • Home directory: /home/hpc/ptfs/ptfs328h
  • Shell: /bin/bash
  • State: active
  • Valid until: 2024-11-01 00:00

In reply to Redwanul Karim

Re: No file directory for the user "ptfs328h"

by Georg Hager -
Dear Redwanul Karim,
it is true that a new SSH key is active at most 2h after upload. However, the creation of home directories is an independent process. If you get a new account (as was the case for almost all PTfS students), uploading a key will also trigger the creation of a home directory. That (currently) happens at fixed points in time every two hours, but not between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. So the problem was that you uploaded your key at night, and your key worked after 2 hours, but your $HOME was generated only in the morning (at 7:11 a.m. to be precise). Not your fault, just something we did not have on the radar.
In the future we will document that it can take up to 24 hrs for the account to be fully functional.
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Best,
Georg.
In reply to Georg Hager

Re: No file directory for the user "ptfs328h"

by Redwanul Karim -
Dear Professor,
Thank you for your kind response.
I can now access the HPC nodes and everything is working fine.

Best Regards
Redwanul Karim