Exam preparation: recommended material, and tips from the final lectures?

Exam preparation: recommended material, and tips from the final lectures?

by Christoph Schmidtmeier -
Number of replies: 0

Hi everyone,

I'm working through the material for the written exam and would be grateful for a few pointers. I was travelling during the last weeks of term, so while I have gone through slide sets 13–15 and the published solutions for the final assignments, I wasn't in the room for those lectures. If any advice about the exam came up there, emphasis, what to focus on, how questions are typically posed, I'd really appreciate a short summary.

A few specific questions:
1. Reference material: is there a recommended companion to the slides? Is Introduction to High Performance Computing for Scientists and Engineers (Hager & Wellein) the intended reference, and if so are particular chapters worth prioritising?
2. Sample questions: are example or past exam questions available anywhere?
3. Permitted aids: what may be brought into the exam: calculator, formula sheet?

Thanks in advance!